Thursday, June 15, 2006

Convention is Over

Although I wasn't able to personally attend the Southern Baptist Convention, I've been following it as much as possible through the internet. It seems that, despite all of the controversy going into this year's meeting, things went rather smoothly.

There were definitely some surprises; particularly the election of Frank Page as SBC president. Many conservatives seem a little worried about this "outsider" being elected, but I'm not so sure it wasn't a good thing. I'm a huge fan of Ronnie Floyd, and I know he would have been a great president, but I can't help but believe that it was time for a slight shake-up in our convention.

I'm not talking about a shift to the left (God forbid), but I'm talking about bringing some new conservative voices into the mix of SBC leadership. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next two years, and I for one will be watching events in our convention very closely. Time will tell what kind of leader Frank Page will be, but we as Southern Baptists need to get behind him and offer him our support.

Bro. Shane

No comments: