Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Things On My Mind

Just a few random thoughts on this Wednesday morning:

-The movie Facing The Giants did not disappoint. This is a great family film that has the potential to have a huge impact for the cause of Christ. I realize some of the acting is not on par with Hollywood, but that's not surprising given the fact that the actors were unpaid volunteers. Personally, I think they did an outstanding job. I think the use of ordinary church folks makes the movie more real. As we (Stephanie, Moshi and me) watched the movie, we laughed at times, cried at times, and cheered at times. I left the theater ready to go and face the giants in my life.

-Two interesting trailers that were shown before the movie have caught my attention. One is a movie about Esther, which is set to open around the middle of this month. I've always said the story of Esther would make a great movie, and the trailer looked really good. This is not an endorsement of the movie, because I know nothing else about it. The other preview was a movie about the birth of Christ; I believe entitled The Nativity Story. Again, all I know is what I saw in the trailer, but it too looked like it would be a good movie. It is set to open during the Christmas season.

-Fall Revival is less than a month away! Turk Holt will be with us October 22-25.

-Sensational Sunday is planned for October 29. This will be a huge community outreach day and will also serve as a kick-off for our AWANA ministry. We hope to register many children for AWANA that day. We will have flyers for you to hand out available at church tonight.

-AWANA is set to begin Sunday, November 5. Word about this exciting ministry seems to be spreading. We've already had quite a few families show an interest in coming to EFBC simply because we're going to be offering AWANA for their children. I believe this will be one of the best things we've seen happen at Eulaton in a long time.

-Please keep the revival, Sensational Sunday, and AWANA in your prayers. All of our efforts will be in vain if we're not putting the Lord first and bathing these things in prayer. Pray that He will have His way at EFBC. Also remember to pray for those on our prayer list, including our shut-ins.

-Please be in prayer for the Amish community in Pennsylvania that experienced the terrible tragedy this week. I saw on Fox News this morning that a so-called "Baptist" group from Kansas (Fred Phelps and his followers) were planning a protest at the funerals. A piece of video showed one lady holding a sign up in front of passing cars that said, "God Hates You." These people are absolutely despicable. How they can call themselves Christians is beyond me. What could they possibly have to protest in this situation? Fred Phelps and his followers need to stay in Kansas and start reading their Bibles, because they obviously know nothing about the God of the Old and New Testaments. What an embarrassment these folks are to Christianity. While praying for the Amish, why not say a prayer for these disturbed individuals who will be carrying out these protests.

Those are just some of the things that are on my mind this morning. I hope everyone is having a great week, and I hope to see many of you at church tonight.

Bro. Shane

No comments: