Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What Do You Think?

During our family devotional times every morning, Stephanie, Moshi and I have been studying the life of the apostle Paul. This morning, we came to Acts 13 and read about John Mark deserting the missionary team of Paul and Barnabas. The Bible doesn't go into detail about why Mark left, other than to say, "John, departing from them, returned to Jerusalem." It's something you might otherwise miss if the subject didn't come up again in Acts 15.

When Paul and Barnabas were preparing to depart for their second missionary journey, Barnabas wanted to bring along John Mark. Paul, however, refused because Mark had deserted them earlier in Pamphylia. The Bible says the difference of opinions was so heated that they eventually split up; Paul taking Silas with him and Barnabas going in another direction with John Mark.

Despite their disagreement and parting of ways, it does appear that everybody made amends at some point in the future. 1 Corinthians 9:6 leads us to believe that Paul and Barnabas had patched things up. And as for John Mark, Paul told Timothy in 2 Tim 4:11 to "get Mark and bring him with you, for he is useful to me for ministry." So by the time of Paul's death, it appears everybody had reconciled.

So, here's the question that I'd like to have your opinion on: Who was right in the split? Was it Barnabas who wanted to bring John Mark along for their second journey, or was it Paul who felt like Mark's past desertion disqualified him from missionary service?

According to John MacArthur, who I highly respect: "The weight of evidence favors Paul's decision, especially since he was an apostle of Jesus Christ. That alone should have caused Barnabas to submit to his authority." My Nelson Study Bible, however, mentions that, "Barnabas had led the church (at Antioch) in its early days. He was the church's main representative at the Jerusalem council, but he did not use his prominence to seek a reprimand of Paul." Are they trying to say that Barnabas made the better decision?

Regardless of who was right, one thing is clear about the situation: God used the split to take the Gospel in two directions instead of one. The Bible says that Barnabas and Mark sailed to Cyprus, while Paul and Silas went through Syria and Cilicia. So instead of one missionary team going into one region, there were two teams going to into two different regions. Both served the Lord faithfully.

I'm sure that many gifted theologians who are much smarter than I am have already debated this matter ad nauseam. Still, I thought it might lead to some thought provoking responses from the faithful few who read this blog. So, what do you think?

9 comments:

Jeff Brooks / TwoTwenty Ministries said...

I think that mean lady at LifeWay should have let me have my picture made with Bob & Larry - that's what I think!

Shane "George" Lambert said...

It's time to move on, Jeff. I perceive that a root of bitterness has taken hold in your heart. It's time to give it to the Lord and get over it.

Oh, and by the way, you're off topic.

Anonymous said...

I think that God is in control of all situations including that one and by the two men having disagreements with what they should do and breaking into two groups the word of God which is why they were taking this trip to start with got spread in two directions instead of just one. Sometimes we need to be still and let God lead us and that may mean away from our familar surroundings and into a strange and foreign land where we can prosper and share with others we may not have had a chance too. As far as who is right or wrong that shouldn't even be a factor in the whole thing the fact that the word was spread should be. Jeff bitterness is the root of all evil God told us to have a forgiving heart and spirit just as his disciples did so get over it forgive her and pray that she will have a better day.

Shane "George" Lambert said...

Anonymous,

I tend to agree that who's right or wrong shouldn't be a factor. Trying to assign blame to either party is not healthy in this situation, and I believe both were exhibiting Christ-like characteristics. Barnabas was showing mercy, while Paul was demonstrating justice.

I think this episode just points out the differences in their personalities and shows that even in our disagreements, God is still sovereign. This is a perfect example of Romans 8:28, God working all things for good to those who love Him.

Some may now ask me, "If you don't think it's healthy to decide who was right and who was wrong, why did you ask the question to start with?"

Answer: Reading MacArthur's comments got me wondering if maybe a lot of people have similar opinions.

Another reason is that I just like a good, healthy, friendly debate.

Anonymous said...

Ok well with that being said I also enjoy a good debate and in my mind Barnabas was the one who was correct in what he done. The Bible teaches us that we are to forgive over and over again Barnabas was doing just that by not holding a grudge against John Mark for leaving them the first time. So in my mind Barnabas was correct for not refusing to go on with John Mark again.

Shane "George" Lambert said...

Anonymous,

It is true that we are told to forgive seventy times seven, however nowhere does the book of Acts say that Paul refused to forgive Mark. We are only told that Paul insisted that they not take Mark because of his prior desertion.

That doesn't mean Paul didn't forgive him. I think Paul probably forgave Mark, but still thought it best not to take him along lest he abandon them again. Missionary work was and is a dangerous endeavor, and Paul was probably a little hesitant to take along someone he felt he could not totally trust.

Having said that, I can't help but love the forgiving and merciful spirit exhibited by Barnabas. He was such an encourager, and I know there have been times in my Christian life that I have needed a second chance. I thank God for those encouraging people who were able to see past my faults and give me another opportunity to keep serving the Lord.

But then again, I know there have been times when certain people were pretty hard on me, much like Paul was toward Mark. And although it was not much fun, I can definitely see how God used those people to work out some rough edges in my life.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think God used both Paul and Barnabas to work out His will in Mark's life.

Jeff Brooks / TwoTwenty Ministries said...

If I took myself too seriously, I would probably point out that it is the love of money that is the root of all evil - not bitterness.

Shane "George" Lambert said...

Jeff,

There you go again, having to get all Biblical on us.

Jeff Brooks / TwoTwenty Ministries said...

Well...if I can't have a little fun...