Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sunday's On The Way

I'm struggling to stay awake today. Why, you ask? Because the thought of so many people whose names I don't even know kept me up for the better part of last night. All I know is their initials, but I know that every set of initials on our dry erase board in the sanctuary represents a precious soul. And I'm seriously praying for these people.

Did you write somebody's initials on that board this past Sunday? If you did, let me encourage you to not forget about that person this week. Let me remind you of the commitment you made to God about that person. Let me cheer you on as you seek to share Jesus with that person and/or get them here this Sunday.

I am insanely excited about this week's Sunday morning message (message title: Christ For Clunkers). My promise to you is that if you get your person here, they will hear the Gospel presented in a creative way and in a language that they can easily understand. Don't give up on them. Pray for them. Talk with them. Keep encouraging them to come and see what God is doing at EFBC.

Perhaps you didn't come forward last Sunday, but God put somebody on your heart that you know needs Jesus. Don't let the fact that you didn't put their initials on the board keep you from investing in their life. Pray for them. Talk with them. Invite them to come and worship with you this Sunday. God wants to use you; you've just got to let Him.

Now, let me give everybody a warning. God is up to something big, and we all know what that means: Satan is up to something, too. When fires of renewal and revival begin to burn, everybody will have the opportunity to pick up one of two buckets to throw on those fires. One bucket contains water, and we all know what water does to a fire. The other bucket contains gasoline. Need I say more?

Make sure you pick up the bucket with gasoline, so that we might see these fires of renewal and revival spread and burn white hot. Please don't try and throw water on the fires that God has ignited in so many people's hearts. 1 Thessalonians 5:19 tells us, "Do not quench the Spirit." 2 Timothy 1:6 tells us to, "Fan into flame the gift of God." (NIV) Let's do everything we can to keep this fire burning that the Lord has lit in our church.

And remember; fasten your seatbelts, because the best is yet to come.

No comments: