Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Recharge; Not Retire

"Summertime, and the living is easy." I seem to recall those lyrics from a popular song, and it has me already looking forward to having a time to refresh and recharge. My family will be taking a week for vacation this month, and we're excited about getting to go back to Pawley's Island, S.C. again this year. My only regret is that I have to be gone from EFBC during a time when God is moving so mightily.

But I know, and I hope you do to, that we all need periods of rest and rejuvenation. And that's just as true for those of us in vocational ministry as it is for folks employed in the secular world. I read recently where one minister wrote: "Pastors cannot lead their churches on empty." Even Jesus understood this, and He often took opportunities to get away and get refreshed.

And so, while I'm away, I won't be checking my email. I won't be posting on my blog. I won't be on Facebook. I won't even be working on sermon preparation. What I will be doing is spending some quality time with my family and with my Lord. And when I return on June 12th, I plan on being rejuvenated and energized, ready to see what God has next for us at EFBC (and hopefully hearing some glowing reports about what He did while I was away).

So this summer, I hope you'll have the opportunity for some times of refreshing. Let the Lord recharge your batteries and prepare you for greater things in the days to come. But just remember one thing: don't take the whole summer off from church! I've seen it happen all too often: folks go on vacation; come home, and suddenly serving the Lord becomes an afterthought. Let's all strive to NOT LET THAT HAPPEN!

I truly believe that EFBC's greatest days are still ahead of us. And I truly believe that this summer could be the best this church has ever experienced! Youth Camp's just ended, Bible School's just around the corner, and Children's Camp is right after VBS. God's got big plans for us in the coming days, weeks and months! So let's take the time to get refreshed and recharged, but let's all determine that we're not going to retire on God this summer!

No comments: