Friday, April 16, 2010

Eulaton On My Mind

Nearly eight years ago, God put a burning desire in my heart to go home. He put a burden in me for the community where I grew up, attended school, and where a large part of who I am today was shaped. Although I didn't know it at the time, God already had a plan to bring me back here.

I'll never forget the day when a good friend called me and told me that Eulaton First Baptist was looking for a pastor. He asked me if I'd possibly be interested. I can't remember my exact response, but it was something akin to, "Does the Pope wear a funny hat?" I was incredibly excited, and somehow I just knew that this was part of God's plan and I was going to end up at EFBC.

Fast-forward nearly eight years, and guess what? That burden for my community is greater today than it was then. We've seen some great things happening in recent months, but I believe God's work here has only just begun. After the success we've seen recently, it would be really easy to put things on cruise control and just decide to coast from here on out.

Problem is, there are still people all around us who are lost and rushing headlong into a Christless eternity. Having a burden for this community means we don't slow down until every person in Eulaton, Anniston, Calhoun County and beyond professes Jesus as their Savior. Or until Christ returns, whichever comes first.

So let me ask you: Do you have a burden for your community? Have you noticed lately that there are people all around us who are headed to a place called Hell? Do you believe God could spark a community-wide, county-wide, state-wide, or maybe even nation-wide revival and that it could begin with us? Some might say "no," but I say "why not here?"

This Sunday, we're going to focus on our community. Some people call it Wellborn; some people call it Eulaton. I'm honestly not so concerned about what name this community is known by; I'm much more concerned that Christ's name is known in this community! Our Why Not Here series will continue this week, and we'll be looking at Nehemiah 1-2. I've also got a little presentation at the end of my message that I hope will inspire you about the possibilities for our area.

Why not Him? Why not us? Why not here?

The best is yet to come!

No comments: