Thursday, April 01, 2010

Super Sunday!

So I've been thinking about something that I wanted to share with all of you. Every year in January the National Football League has something called Super Sunday, and it's a huge celebration that I'm told is centered on a particular football game (called the Super Bowl or something like that). Anyway, from what I've been told it's a pretty big deal with a lot of folks. In fact, it's such a big deal that retailers will pay unheard of amounts of money to advertise their products during the television broadcast of the big game. Apparently there's a bigger audience for this one event than for any other broadcast throughout the year.

With that in mind, it hit me this week that Easter Sunday is for the church what Super Sunday is for the football world. Most churches across the country this Sunday will, for whatever reason, experience their largest crowd of the year. And that, my friends, is keeping me up at night thinking about what God has in store for us this weekend at EFBC!

I must admit, though, that it's rather sobering to think of the responsibility that we all have this Sunday to make sure we let people see Jesus in us, not to mention the responsibility that I have to make sure that the Gospel is communicated clearly and passionately. In fact, I've really stressed over the message for this weekend, because if there's ever a Sunday that I don't want to blow it, this is definitely the one! Thankfully, God has put my mind at ease and given me a message that I can hardly wait to deliver! The title is At The End Of Your Rope, and it's about the thief who was saved in his dying moments with hardly any time to spare. Please be praying for me that I'll communicate this message in a clear, creative and passionate way, and that those who've never been truly saved will recognize their lost condition and see their need for a Savior.

Having said all that, let me now take this opportunity to say that I'm more stoked about this Sunday than I've ever been for any worship service I've ever been a part of in my life...ever! And I'm not trying to sound overly dramatic or trying to over-hype anything; I really mean it when I say that I'm PUMPED about what God has in store for us! I hope you are, too. Please be praying for an awesome and unexplainable movement of God this Sunday at EFBC!

For our members who are able to, let me encourage you to park in the lower parking lot to make room for visitors to park in the main parking lot. I'm praying for an overflow crowd, and that means we need to anticipate overflow parking. Let me also encourage all of the men in my class and Donnie's class to bring up a couple of chairs to the sanctuary after Sunday School. I'm praying we'll have to open the vestibule doors and stick some chairs out there, as well!

Finally, let me remind you to do all you can to GET PEOPLE HERE THIS SUNDAY MORNING! Easter Sunday is a day when people who wouldn't ordinarily think about attending a church service are somehow more open to an invitation. This might be the open door you've been waiting for to get that special friend, loved one, co-worker, whoever, to come and join you at EFBC. My promise to you is this: if you'll get them here, they will hear the Gospel!

Keep in mind that our day will begin with a Sunrise Service at 6 a.m. We'll then have our regular Sunday morning schedule with Sunday School at 8:45 and worship at 10. There will be no evening services this Sunday.

Be praying! Be investing and inviting! And be ready for kick-off, because our Super Sunday is almost here...and the best is yet to come!!!

No comments: